“Every student deserves a great teacher.”
- About the Propel Schools Teacher Residency Program
- Application Process
The Propel Teacher Residency Program.
Propel knows that in order to meet the mission of our organization and to give our students the education they deserve, the people matter most. The people we put in front of our students must be top quality. They must be resilient, they must care deeply about our students and be committed to issues of poverty, race, and social justice.
Through the ABCTE Teacher Residency Program, Propel Resident Teachers earn their Pennsylvania 7-12 teaching certification while receiving support and guidance from Propel Residency Staff and Point Park University. The American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE) Program offers an alternative teaching certification program that is affordable and flexible. Begun in 2001 out of the U.S. Department of Education’s desire to offer an accepted, rigorous alternative to traditional teacher certification paths, the American Board was designed to be online and self-paced, so that candidates in the program can study when and where they are able. Selected candidates will complete the ABCTE certification program, academic coursework and mentoring from Point Park University, and serve as teaching apprentices supported by a Propel mentor for a full year. All candidates earn a monthly stipend ($2,000) and health benefits. At the completion of their apprentice year, they will impact the lives of students in a guaranteed three-year, full-time, salaried teaching position at Propel Schools.
- January 6, 2020—Applications open
- February 3, 2020—Application deadline
- February 24-25, 2020—Selection interview
*Applicants will attend only one of the round robin interview sessions as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- 2+ years experience working with children in an urban setting strongly preferred
- Post-college life experience strongly preferred
- Pennsylvania Department of Education clearances Act 34 (Criminal), Act 151 (Child Abuse), FBI Criminal History and negative TB test
- Is not currently enrolled in, nor has completed a teacher preparation or certification program
- Fully funded ABCTE certification and tuition through Point Park University
- Pennsylvania State Secondary Certification (grades 7-12)
- $24,000 stipend to help cover living expenses ($2,000 per month) plus health insurance
- Three years of full-time employment with Propel Schools upon successful completion of the program
- Personalized professional development and mentorship from a team of educators with a track record of making a significant impact on the lives of children
- Support from fellow residents who have diverse backgrounds and interests
- Click here to complete an application
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
*Participants are responsible for obtaining PA certification, books and other fees.